Tesco trials drive-thru grocery
Tesco is launching the nation’s first drive-thru supermarket service today (23 August) to help its customers manage their time.
The supermarket is targeting customers that are too busy to visit the supermarket or wait for online grocery orders to be delivered.
The “click and collect” service means that customers can order their grocery shopping online as usual and select a convenient two-hour collection slot to pick it up at the supermarket.
Tesco says it will make grocery shopping easier for families that want to avoid “the challenge of shopping in a busy store with children in tow” and young professionals who don’t have time to wait for delivery to arrive.
The trial launches at Tesco’s Baldock Extra store in Hertfordshire and may be rolled out and become a permanent service if the trial is a success.
A localised direct marketing campaign will promote the service to local shoppers.
Tesco says customers do not even need to get out of their car as staff will pack the groceries into the car-boot at the dedicated collection area.
The drive-thru service costs a flat £2 fee and operates under the same policies as Tesco’s home delivery service.
Laura Wade-Gery, CEO of Tesco.com and Tesco Direct, says: “They can collect their shop on their way home from work or at any other time that suits them during our extensive collection hours.’
· While 45% of British adults attribute Tesco’s success to its cheap, varied food choices and ability to create jobs wherever it goes, 43% feel that it is ‘too powerful’.
· Despite the view held by many that Tesco is ‘unfair’ – by pricing smaller opposition out of the market – YouGov SixthSense research reveals that 60% of UK consumers still shop at local stores at least once a week.
· YouGov SixthSense records an equal appeal for Tesco among socio-demographic groups
· Usage penetration is strongest in the North (41%) and weakest in London (24%)
· Homebase trails with 21% of shoppers saying they have bought gardening equipment, plants or garden furniture there in the past 6 months.